I was recently contacted by an up and coming eLearning Developer and was asked these questions. Hopefully you will be able to get some use of this content as well.
Some of the most common eLearning Development Tools include:
- Adobe Captivate
- Techsmith Camtasia
- Articulate Storyline
- Trivantis Lectora
- and more
Several reasons exist for using one tool over another:
- Ease of use
- High level of expertise with a selected tool
- Existing Infrastructure that supports the use of a tool
- An existing level of previous success with a tool
- Creation of mobile ready content
- SCORM ready output
- and more
Some top tools and why:
- One of the reasons to select Camtasia is it’s ability to output ADA Complaint Closed and Open Captions. As of (March 8, 2017) other tools claim to offer closed captioning but fail to provide ADA Complaint Captions.
- One of the main reasons to select Articulate Storyline is it’s ability to output accessible content that works with JAWS, Dragon Naturally Speaking and ZoomText. Plus it can pull in content from Camtasia.
- Camtasia does not provide a robust interface that is similar to Storyline, Captiviate and Lectora.
- Articulate Storyline 2 as of (March 8, 2017) does not provide an easy method to include page numbering.
- Captivate can not match the same level of accessible standards as Articulate
- Lectora has a higher degree of difficulty from a development perspective
Hope you find this information useful.
All the best,